Our programs are designed to help young children, 2 – 5 years of age, develop speech, language, and pre-literacy skills necessary to participate confidently and successfully in family, social, and academic activities. Speech and language therapy is available for children who can benefit from these services.
During the school year:
- Wings on Words (WOW) Preschool for children 3 – 6 years of age. See Program Information.
- WOW ToddlerU – for children 2 years of age.
- Scottish Rite Clinic– Screening and therapy for children 2 – 6 years of age.
- Talking Matters! Community Outreach Program funded by First Things First.
During the summer months:
- WOW Summer Day Camp for children 3 – 6. See WOW Summer Day Camp information in sidebar.
Science, Service & Education –
- All screening, evaluation, and therapy sessions are performed, or supervised, by Speech-Language Pathologists who hold a Master’s degree and Clinical Certification from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). In addition to acting as a service center, the clinic serves as a research and educational training center. As such, a graduate student involved in providing services to children in most cases. These students are enrolled in the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences at The University of Arizona, where they are receiving both a classroom and clinic-based education.
Specifically About WOW
The Wings on Words (WOW) Program: The WOW facilities are located at 202 E. Speedway, just 6 blocks west of the University of Arizona. WOW’s programs are licensed by the State of Arizona, DES Qualified, and NAC accredited. Tuition payments by parents cover program participation. Speech and language therapy is covered by fundraising events sponsored by the Child Language Center. Public service discounts are available for government employees, teachers, and UA students, faculty, and staff. Income-based tuition subsidies may also be available. See WOW Scholarship Application.
School Year Programs (August – May)
- Preschool: WOW provides a full- and part-day preschool program, Monday – Friday, for children 3 – 5 years of age. WOW’s goal is to provide children with a strong foundation for learning. The preschool’s enriched language- and literacy-based curriculum emphasizes oral language development. This is key to future success in reading and writing (which depends on strong oral language skills), and because good communication skills foster self-esteem and social success. Speech and language therapy is provided when needed as an integral part of the WOW program. For more details, see the WOW Program Handbook. Both the preschool’s handbook and its application are available (with other documents) on the sidebar to the right.
- Toddlers: WOW also provides a full- and part-day program, Monday – Thursday, for 2 year olds called ToddlerU. This exciting, small group program emphasizes talking, listening and understanding. Together with parents, each child’s strengths and needs are assessed and integrated into meaningful and appropriate activities. A team of two teachers and an ASHA certified speech-language pathologist work with children individually and in small groups in active indoor and outdoor learning environments. For more details, see the Toddler Program Handbook. Both the toddler handbook and application can be accessed through the sidebar to the right.
Summer Program (June-July): For more details, please see our WOW Camp Handbook. Both the camp handbook and application are available on the sidebar to the right.