School will be closed: Mon, Jan.17th in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Summer & Fall 2022 Enrollment begins soon!
Limited number of seats available
At Wings on Words, every child has something important to say. We help them say it.
Our team of professionals provide an exceptional and effective learning environment to support speech and language development in young children because talking really does matter. Your donation helps us put wings on the words of children and will give YOU a dollar-for-dollar tax credit on your AZ State tax return.
Donate today and receive up to $800 for your Arizona Charitable Tax credit and up to $300 for your federal charitable contribution.
Use the Qualifying Charitable Organization Code (QCO): 20660 Child Language Center, Inc. on your tax return.
ONE-OF-A-KIND IN SOUTHERN AZ
The Child Language Center is a non-profit community outreach program that has provided early education and speech-language therapy services for young children since 1989. Its activities are supported by The Scottish Rite Charitable Foundation, the Department of Speech, Language & Hearing Sciences at The University of Arizona, and the generosity of individuals and organizations in the Tucson area.
The mission of the CLC is to benefit children with language disorders through unique, specialized early intervention programs, and to support research and professional training to improve language learning.
OUR SCHOOL IS OPEN
We continue to monitor metrics issued by the AZ Dept of Health Services and the Pima County Health Dept to safely operate. We are carrying out the recommended and up-to-date COVID – 19 mitigation practices: Masks are required for all staff, and wellness checks are completed every day upon arrival. Continuous disinfection of surfaces occurs throughout the day, air filtration has been upgraded and children spend most of the day outdoors in enhanced outdoor learning environments.
Enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis. An application fee is required. There is an additional fee for a speech-language assessment.
Wings on Words, individual, small group, and classroom-based services are provided for children enrolled in our preschool.
A limited number of in-person or teletherapy sessions are available (p.m. slots only) for children who are NOT enrolled in the toddler or preschool programs. An introductory session is available free of charge to help you and your child get acquainted with the format and be sure this type of service delivery is a good fit for everyone. These 30-minute sessions are $40.
Services are provided and supervised by licensed and certified Speech-Language Pathologists (SLP). SLP-Assistants and graduate student clinicians enrolled in UA’s Department of Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences also provide individual and small group services under the supervision of our SLPs.
To get started with teletherapy services OR to be added to our wait list for preschool-based therapy services, please call the school at 520-628-1659 or you may leave a message. We’ll get back to you with details and scheduling options within 24 hours.
WOW SUMMER CAMP
2021-22 Summer Camp dates: June 1 – June 30th, 2022
Enrollment, to begin in late January, is offered on a first come, first served basis and seats are limited.
Wings on Words has served children and families for over 20 years! We are a one-of-a-kind, non-profit that relies on the generous support of foundations, organizations, and individuals like YOU to operate.
Please consider a donation in any amount to ensure our important mission continues for the next 20 years, uninterrupted, because talking really does matter!
All children must meet the following entrance criteria:
- Between 2.5-5 years old
- Age-appropriate nonverbal cognitive skills.
- With the exception of speech or language disorders, have no identified neurological disorders.
- Provide proof of up-to-date immunizations.
- Have completed enrollment information on file.
- Independent toileting skills (for Preschoolers only).
- Because of the philanthropic goals of the Scottish Rite Charitable Foundation and our ongoing affiliation with research programs in the UA Dept. of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences, the school’s enrollment is limited to:
- Children with normally developing language skills; and
- Children with developmental language disorder (DLD), phonological disorder, or speech delay/disorder.
- We work to help families secure the best services for their children when needs are recognized that are beyond our scope of practice.
- Children who require more than speech and language therapy services are referred to programs in our community. These include public school programs, and other community agencies that provide specialized services for young children.
- We advocate for all young children, but we do not provide a comprehensive programto meet all special education needs.